Gourmet is a French word that refers to a person who loves good food. In a broader meaning it represents that kind of culinary art that goes beyond the simple preparation of a meal. In fact, gourmet cuisine involves imagination, passion and attention to detail. Its aim is to transform even simple ingredients into exceptional recipes capable of satisfying even the most refined palates. Flavors and spices play a fundamental role in this creative process that leads to haute cuisine recipes.
Europrodotti proposes a line of condiments for gourmet recipes that includes a complete range of solutions able to enhance the taste and aroma of foods, offering true gastronomic masterpieces to those who love to eat well.
When a food is gourmet
A recipe becomes a gourmet dish when the pleasure it leaves to the senses is transformed into an unforgettable memory of excellence, one of the elements of what is today called food experience. The gourmet food is what convinces us to return to the restaurant where we ate it, to give it a five-star review on platforms dedicated to tourism and catering such as Tripadvisor and The Fork and even to put on an apron and get to the stove in our kitchen to cook it to family and friends.
Gourmet quality is not limited to the most famous specialties of haute cuisine, such as duck à l'orange or lobster Thermidor. Any food can be elevated to this rank. It all depends on the skill of those who prepare it and the quality of the available ingredients. There is no shortage of examples of popular foods that entered the menu of the most exclusive restaurants thanks to the talent and creativity of starred chefs. Here are some examples:
- The burger with Chianina meat and cotechino, Parmigiano Reggiano, green sauce with parsley, anchovies and capers and mayonnaise adjusted with balsamic vinegar glaze by Massimo Bottura, twice winner of the first prize of The World's 50 Best Restaurants.
- The pizza with lard, anchovies and caramelized cherry tomatoes by Giancarlo Perbellini's, two Michelin stars.
- The tricolor spaghetti with aubergines, burrata and basil by Antonino Cannavacciuolo, holder of seven Michelin stars.
- The risotto alla milanese with saffron pistils and cocoa bean flakes by Carlo Cracco, famous chef, gastronome and television host.
- The crispy lasagna with ham sauce by Bruno Barbieri, multi-starred chef and television personality.
- The canapés with avocado and lobster medallions, a delicious gourmet appetizer created by Iginio Massari, master of haute patisserie.
- The sandwich with duck breast, bacon, avocado and sliced bread, a gourmet sandwich proposed by Joe Bastianich, Italian-American chef and entrepreneur.
Michelangelo said that every block of stone hides a statue and that the task of the sculptor is to discover it. Pasta, rice and minced meat also hide a great recipe that anyone who loves cooking can discover. Flavors and spices are the tools that will help the cook in this search.
Flavors and spices: the magical touch of gourmet dishes
Flavors and spices are that magical touch capable of adding depth and originality to food. Without rosemary, sage, pepper or nutmeg, pasta or rice-based first courses, meat and fish-based second courses and vegetable side dishes, even if cooked in the best possible way, would certainly be good and would satisfy us. But they would offer nothing special to our palate.
When we cook we always remember that condiments can give to the lunch or dinner we prepare the following precious contributions:
- Create new kinds of taste. Combining different aromas and spices can create surprising and original taste combinations. For example, curry is a blend of spices of Indian origin that can give an exotic touch to a wide variety of fish, chicken or rice recipes.
- Enhance a taste. Spices and aromas enhance the taste of meat and fish and make the accompanying vegetables more appetizing. The right amount of black pepper adds a pleasant spicy touch to a beef fillet or sole. A sauce prepared with yogurt, parsley and chives can make boiled potatoes or courgettes more appetizing.
- Give a touch of fantasy to a recipe. Spices and flavorings can be used to make a recipe more pleasant and even more original. Cumin can add a warmer, earthier flavor to white meats, such as chicken and turkey. Turmeric can be used as an alternative to saffron to give a yellow color and a pleasant bitter taste to first courses.
The secret of gourmet cuisine: knowing how to combine aromas and flavors
Herbs and spices offer an infinite number of creative possibilities in a kitchen provided you use them in the right quantities and with the correct combinations. The ability of great chefs is precisely that of knowing from experience or instinct what dose should not be exceeded for paprika or thyme, or when marjoram can be combined with garlic or cloves.
Discovering the right condiment combinations cannot be improvised but requires time, experimentation and the ability to learn from your mistakes. One mistake means ruining an excellent roast veal or a very fresh sea bass. But the right combination can transform a home recipe elevating a dish of penne with ragu into a specialty worthy of MasterChef.
Europrodotti offers a line of herbs and spices dedicated to the preparation of gourmet recipes. A perfect combination of carefully selected and combined ingredients to enrich the taste and aroma of all Italian and international cuisine recipes. These solutions can be used with first courses of pasta and rice, second courses of white and red meat or fish and seafood and vegetable side dishes without covering the original flavor of the food.